V8 Supercar Championship at the Gold Coast with Cameron McConville
Cameron McConville is supported by JAX Tyres Current Championship
Position: 18th Points : 1090 pts
Cameron McConville and WOW Racing endured a character building weekend on the Gold Coast. The Team got off to a strong start in Practice and early Qualifying but a series of little issues conspired to frustrate the Team's Queensland campaign. Cam brushed the Turn 5 wall in Qualifying and the Turn 2 wall in Race 2 plus an odd electrical problem stopped the car in Race 3.
"Looking back over the weekend the Qualifying error at Turn 5 really hurt. Once you lose track position things can go downhill too easily. The Race 3 problem was a shame but I'm really encouraged by the pace in the car though so I'm certain more great results are within our grasp."
Practice - P17
The great form from Bathurst carried forward. The car was strong right out of the transporter.
Qualifying - P14
Cam and Team thought a Top Ten outcome was on. Unfortunately a small error at Turn 5 resulted in clipping a concrete barrier and damaging steering.
Race 1 - P14
The first race produced a vigorous battle with Mark Skaife and a solid start to the weekend.
Race 2 - P22
Another good start and this time a great battle with James Courtney and Will Davison. However, too much pace into the Turn 2 chicane sent the WOW Racing Commodore into the wall on the outside.
Race 3 - DNF
The car had excellent car pace but passing was impossible. Oddly an electrical problem shut the car down at Turn 8.
Event, Circuit Data
- Track - Length/Direction & Turns: - 4.5 km. Anti Clockwise. 12
- Qualifying record: - 1:48.6322, Garth Tander, '07. (Qualifying)
- Lap record: - 1:49.8352, Garth Tander, '07. (Race 3)
- Top speed: - 257 km/h. Approach to Turn 1.
- Slowest corner: - Turn 12, 60 km/h.
- Average lap speed: - 147.5 km/h. (11th fastest of 15 on the Series tour)
- 100% throttle: - 55% of 110 second lap or 61 seconds
- Longest straight: - Turn 12 to Turn 1, 780m. (Section at 100% throttle)
- Tyre allocation: - 12 slicks (dry) & 12 wets. (Qualifying & 3 Races)
- Laps & distance: - 27 laps 121.5 km x 3 races.
- Fuel burn per race: - 93 litres. (71 kg)
- Average fuel burn: - 3.2 litres. (2.4 kg)
- Time loss for pit stop, lane transit & in/out: - 35 seconds.
- November 2009 Update: Cameron McConville joins JAX Tyres to run the new store in Moorabbin