Run Flat Tyres
This revolutionary tyre design allows the vehicle to continue moving despite a loss of tyre pressure and is able to function as a "get you home" solution. This avoids the inconvenience of all that may be associated with changing the tyre at the roadside.
Run flat tyres offer many benefits when compared to the non-run flat version. Should your vehicle already be equipped with this type of tyre by the vehicle manufacturer, it is extremely advisable to refit run flat tyres when it comes time to replace them for the reasons stated below.
- Increased safety - in the event of sudden tyre deflation the vehicle remains controllable.
- Less inconvenience & improved safety - no need to change the tyre & wheel assembly at the roadside in possibly dark and/or during inclement weather conditions and or on busy highways.
- Weight & Space saving -no spare wheel is necessary when run flat tyres are fitted hence a saving of boot space and a possible improvement in fuel saving, assuming the comparison is made with a vehicle equipped with tyres having similar rolling resistance.
It is essential when using run flat tyres that they are operated in conjunction with a tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS), to ensure the driver is informed when there is any loss of pressure.
Run flat tyres are designed to have a "get you home capability" and depending on the particular tyre brand, can be operated up to a distance of 100km, provided the maximum speed of the vehicle does not exceed 80km/hr. It is suggested you refer to the particular tyre manufacturer's recommendations for their specific guidelines.
- DSST = Dunlop Self-Supporting Technology
- EMT = Extended Mobility Tyre
- RFT = Run Flat Tyre
- ROF = Run on Flat
- SSR = Self Supporting Run-Flat Tyre